hoe dancing




What are people doing when they respond to music? I had reconciled myself to being something akin to tone-deaf. But now I like to say that I only have a physical response to music. What does that mean? I suppose I really only like music that I can dance to or stalk the footpath to. I am told there are people studying the brains of people who have an 'intellectual' response to music. There was even some theories floating about that men have an intellectual response to music and women an emotional one. I wish they had met a certain two-year-old boy who used to burst into tears when any Brahms was played.

Paddy and I had a bit of a nostalgia trip over the weekend looking up videos of all the songs we listened to the year she was 14 and I was 12. I used to just listen to things she listened to. Seeing the videos now (many for the first time) cracked us up. Heart, T'Pau, Wilson Philips, Martika, Lisa Stansfield, Bangles, Tina Turner, and my favourites George Michael and Prince. The last two should have tipped me off that the rest of my life was going to be run amuck in the company of gay men.

But I defy you to not have a physical reaction to the shamisen players in either of these videos.

Yoshida Brothers, The Rising



And something Bent insisted on making me watch. The opening sequence of Takeshi Kitano's Dolls

2 comments:

Dolls! you must watch Dolls.

June 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM  

Cried buckets from just watching this much. I shall watch it in the manic end of the manic-depressive swing.

July 4, 2008 at 5:17 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home