The nicest lines in The Kite-Runner



One day, maybe around 1983 or 1984, I was at a video store in Fremont. I was standing in the Westerns section when a guy next to me, sipping Coke from a 7-Eleven cup, pointed to The Magnificent Seven and asked me if I had seen it. "Yes, thirteen times," I said. "Charles Bronson dies in it, so do James Coburn and Robert Vaughn." He gave me a pinch-faced look, as if I had just spat into his soda. "Thanks a lot, man," he said, shaking his head and muttering something as he walked away. That was when I learned that, in America, you don't reveal the ending of the movie, and if you do, you will be scorned and made to apologize profusely for having committed the sin of Spoiling the End.

In Afghanistan, the ending was all that mattered. When Hassan and I came home after watching a Hindi film at Cinema Zainab, what Ali, Rahim Khan, Baba or the myriad of Baba's friends-second and third cousins milling in and out of the house-wanted to know was this: Did the Girl in the film find happiness? Did the bacheh film, the Guy in the film become kamyab and fulfil his dreams or was he nah-kam, doomed to wallow in failure?

Was there happiness at the end, they wanted to know.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home